In a story published in the Indian Express on Wednesday, a soldier of the Indian Army who has been posted in Baghpat in eastern Afghanistan has said that he was “not thinking” of dying when his vehicle was ambushed by militants.
On August 1, a roadside bomb exploded near the village of Baghpur near the border with Pakistan, killing eight soldiers.
The military said the attack was carried out by the Taliban.
The army had launched a counter-terrorism operation to eliminate the threat, but that operation has so far failed.
In a video posted on YouTube on Wednesday by the army’s public relations wing, the soldier, who has not been identified, says in the video that he and his men were travelling through Baghpal when they were attacked by “some unknown militants”.
“There was a group of people in the area who came towards us and said, ‘Don’t shoot at us.
We have to move our vehicle to a safe location’,” he says in a video translated by The Times Of India.
“Then they started shooting.
When the group started firing, we fled to a nearby field.
There, we had to escape from our vehicle by using the fields.
I was driving my vehicle and when we were fleeing, they shot at me.”
The soldier says that he ran into a nearby house and that a group took him to a field.
The soldier says he was not aware of what happened.
“It was just a moment when I realized what was going on.
I could not believe what I was seeing,” he says.
A video posted online by the Indian military shows the soldier running towards a field and shooting at the militants.
He says that the soldiers were “scared”.
“The Taliban had killed my cousin in an ambush and had captured my brother.
I had just killed my brother and I had to run away,” he adds.”
I was in shock.
I wanted to die.
I did not know what was happening.
I am just a soldier,” he said.
The video was uploaded on Tuesday and has since been viewed almost a million times.
India has said it has taken action against the Taliban after it said that militants in Pakistan had carried out the attack.
Meanwhile, a senior official in the Ministry of Defence, who asked not to be named, told Reuters news agency on Wednesday that the soldier’s comments were “not acceptable”.
“It is a difficult situation and there are many things we need to do to combat this.
We are not going to talk about it in public and this is something that is private,” he added.
“It is not acceptable to take things in a derogatory manner.”
India’s Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has also denied any involvement in the attack on the soldiers, and said the army was “doing all it can”.
“We have sent an urgent message to Pakistan and our government is doing everything to bring about peace,” Parrikary said.
“We have launched a massive counter-terror operation and the terrorists have been killed,” he continued.